Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SXSW Recap: Coathangers at Spider House

I caught the Coathangers in Austin at a venue called the Spider House - a sprawling coffee shop that had four different stages going. Definitely my favorite venue of the trip. The Coathangers are an all-girl punk/garage rock band from Atlanta. They were on the very top of my list of bands not to miss at SXSW. I want to be best friends with the girls in the band but I also think that they'd probably tear me apart. When they first took stage I immediately noticed the bruises all up and down the drummer's leg. (She's the tattooed one in the pictures below.) During one of the last songs when she started wailing on her leg with a tambourine I realized where they came from. These girls are super cute and also really good musicians - they rotated through all the instruments. The way they thrashed around and screamed in ear-splitting tones exuded fearlessness and I couldn't help but dance. I love seeing shows like this that make me feel like I could be in a really badass all-girl band myself if I just picked up an instrument. I wish they had gotten to do "Nestle in My Boobies," but the sets are short at SXSW and they were mostly playing brand new stuff.

Their brand new album "Scramble" will be in rotation very shortly!

Pictures by Courtney Fellion.

-Katherine (Coathangers' #1 fan)











1 comment:

  1. Hell yes! More fantastic pictures courtesy of Courtney Fellion.

    ReplyDelete