Friday, March 6, 2009

The Exploding Hearts

I've been on a real power pop, punk, and new wave kick as of late. Blondie, The Nerves, The Real Kids, 20/20, and especially The Jam have all been getting a lot of attention over at Casa De Ed. What's been driving the interest even more is that I've recently been hipped to a band quickly becoming a favorite.


Why the hell did it take me so long to hear about The Exploding Hearts?

I guess the Portland-based quartet just slipped under my radar. They weren't exactly a household name, but they did get some people buzzing after the release of their first and only official full-length Guitar Romantic released on Seattle's Dirtnap records in 2003

If three out of the four members hadn't been killed in a car crash while returning home from a gig they might still be riding high. Somewhere next to The Eddie Current Suppression Ring and The Busy Signals. Shame.

In 2006 Dirtnap released Shattered, which compiles early demos, alt. versions, rare singles, and previously unreleased material. It's currently blaring away in all it's rockin' glory on my table as I type. 

These guys really did have something going for them. Listen for yourself...



-Ed (Under The Mattress)

No comments:

Post a Comment