Monday, February 23, 2009

Current 93 and Me

I know there are a lot of old industrial and apocalyptic folk nuts in Denver.

Every time I end up talking about music with some stranger, which gets sparked by some 1190 apparel that one of us is wearing, they get really excited and tell us to play more Coil or Boyd Rice. This time I'm referring specifically to the clerk at Argonaut who told me how the first time he tuned into the station he heard Coil and flipped his shit. Anyway, let's consider this the birth of the dark ages for me. A week later I think I'm approaching the renaissance, but since then I've been in some helpless stupor where David Tibet is constantly whispering to me, "stay in bed, existence is ripe with rot, their souls will perish when the black ships eat the sky. . . " As painful as existence is, I've been having a lot of fun exploring Death in June, Current 93, Coil and early Swans in a much more absorbed way than I ever did before. I'm telling a certain crowd in Denver everything they already know, but this shit is amazing, I can't tell if it's the awful state of depression it puts me in that makes me like it, or its distinct musical quality that makes me nod and stroke my chin with modest approval.

Drunk with the nectar of submission, I retire, until next time when I will convince you that Älgarnas Trädgård are the greatest psych obscurity of the early 70s (seriously though)

Your Program Director
-Tyler

1 comment: